Department Vision Statement:
The Department of Chemical Engineering will be the undergraduate chemical engineering department of choice in Saudi Arabia and will be recognized as one of the top research and graduate chemical engineering departments in the Kingdom.
Department Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Chemical Engineering at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals is to provide an innovative educational program that is rigorous and challenging as well as flexible and supportive. The program is designed to meet the challenges that our graduates are likely to face throughout their professional careers and to provide a high level of scholarship and professional capability, with highly-developed skills in lifetime learning, planning, problem-solving, communication and leadership.
Within few years after graduation, graduates will be able to:
- Show proficiency in the analysis, design and problem solving techniques in chemical engineering field.
- Integrate their academic preparation with chemical engineering practice and technology development.
- Utilize communication skills effectively.
- Engage in long life learning for professional development and career planning, including success in graduate education and research for those who choose to do so.
- Identify and respond to ethical situations.
The chemical engineering program outcomes (modified from ABET’s Engineering outcomes) are listed below:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering principles in solving chemical engineering problems.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data on experiments relevant to chemical engineering practice.
- An ability to design a system, component, or a chemical process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental and safety.
- An ability to function and work on multi-disciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve problems important in chemical engineering practice.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- An ability to recognize the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and social context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Recognize contemporary issues related to the chemical engineering profession.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for chemical engineering practice.